Sunday, May 4, 2008

About My Times Helping Out in the Drama Class.

I have been working part time in a drama academy located in Taman Tun called "Helen O'Grady Children's Drama Academy" for some time. It's a good experience working there as i get to keep in touch with children and youth.

Well, my job is pretty simple.... Firstly, to assist my neighbours (they're two very kind aunties and they are the owners of this academy for this branch here. By the way they're sisters too! XD) if they needed any help. More often my job is to open the door to let kids, parents or visitors in. But i also help out in photostating notices and slips. (I feel that I'm the pro of using the photostat machine there! Wahahaha...!! =_=;) I do writing as well. I'll register the names of new students in the contact book, which is actually just a simple index book. Besides that, i get to talk to children! Oh speaking about them , they're aged 5-17. ^^

Lately, I've been rather busy with props. The reason being is that TV3 and NTV7 are going to film a short act (or drama) performed by the children. I forgot the airing time of both the programmes, but I know that it's going to be aired in the morning of weekends, meaning Saturday or Sunday. My neighbours said that it's the chance for me to show my talent to the world! Lol... =_=; because I wanna be an artist or some sort in the future. =P The first prop I did for the TV3 shoot was just three different coloured posters (drawn on coloured manilla cardboards) and some written inspiring sentence on it. (which was done using different coloured marker pens. ^^;) It was pretty simple. But i had great fun with it. The second prop i did for the NTV7 shoot recently was some simple yet colourful candies of different varieties drawn on cardboard boxes using mixed medias. (such as oil pastels, water colours, coloured pencils and a little bit of black marker pens for the outline to make them stand out.) Wow... The kids were pretty much amazed by the colours and varieties of them! (Aw geez... You kids make me blush. -^^-) They said that it was great and they loved it very much especially the little girls. Some kids helped me out with it and i was grateful that they enlightened me a little.

That's about all for the 'working' part. now to talk about the things i experienced and learned during the days i worked here. To tell the truth, the kids DO improve themselves after going through a number of drama sessions there. I see them talking proper English, some even better than me! XD They even became more active and more confident. I can see the change in them with my own two eyes. O_o They can answer you instantly using the correct words and sentences! And some of them are only 5 years old! O.O amazing huh?

I encountered one unique kid (I forgot his name. So sorry... >_<) which does home study. I didn't know we can still do this in Malaysia... I thought everyone had to go to school to learn and study. He is 9 years old this year, and he practically surprises me with many things he told us about. That day (I forgot which day... T_T) he was telling me and one of the neighbour aunty about the fascinating process of how a spaceship (or was it a rocket...?) from outer space land on Earth. And the terms he used... was like... amazing. I can't really describe it, but he really talks like an adult scientist. O.O I was pretty shocked myself... He even talked about scientific terms! Such as hydrocarbon, poly-something... (ps : I was from the science steam during my form 4 and form 5, but i can only understand half of what he's telling us... This shows how fluent his English is.) The aunty told me not to be surprised (because this is normal to her! how can I not be!!! >.<) because at 7 years old, he taught her about the solar system which includes all the names and size of the planets. (he even drew it out!) At 8 years old, he taught her how petroleum was extracted from the sea... Or wherever else. O_o; hard to believe.... He's gonna be a scientist in the future. I think? ^^ When we asked him where did he learned all those, he replied from encyoclopedias. He said he even read adult books... (Ahem... *cough cough* not THOSE adult books ok!! He meant novels or fictions and all that sort of books) Sending him to this drama class was like giving him extra credit to enhance his presentation skills and to increase his knowledge as well as getting to know more friends as home study, well, you are always at home right? Hmm... I was wondering... Are kids who do home study smarter than those who go to school? I can't judge it with just one extraordinary kid from drama class can't I? hehe...

Other than that, some kids are just too playful. There's this kid named William who shouts a lot. He's too active. And funny. XD Then there's this girl named Margaret who loves to chat with me when she'd finished her class. Oh yeah before I forget, recently there's this malay singer (I can't tell her name. But my mom says she's quite famous... =P) who sends both her daughter to this drama academy! O.O; People were like... WOW! even famous people sends their kids here! I couldn't quite believe it at first until my mom said she is a singer... And that she was famous. (she was much famous years back though.)

Sadly, I couldn't take a pcture of some of the kids. I've no camera or any sort of picture-taking media. T_T I hope more people can introduce this drama academy to others and bring in more kids. We're always willing to inprove your children. ^^ Let your children get a chance to prove and show their talents and at the same time, improve themselves to be a better person for the future. The world now is becoming more and more competitive, so make sure they won't lose out in their language and presentation skills. They can also learn to be more confident and be able to take initiatives, which is a good thing! They won't feel shy to talk and ask about anyhing or everything. XD Haha... Most of them tend to be more cheerful and lead happier lives as well as get more friends from outside of school.

So now that you know some benefits we're giving you and your children, why not try sending them over to give it a try? It's no harm... Or you can visit the site http://www.helenogrady.com.au/ for further details. (I feel like I'm helping to promote this drama academy instead of writing what my title is... =_=) Ok that's all for my current post. Will post more blogs in the future. ^^ Have a nice day ahead readers of my blog! And thanks for taking your time reading about it. ^^ *bows*

No comments: